Childhood Obesity Committee
The AzAAP Obesity Committee consists of Chapter members from diverse settings and specialties and from various geographic regions of Arizona. The Committee also welcomes input from other experts to help develop solutions and creative ways pediatricians can collaborate with other leaders to influence families and the community to live more healthy lives and combat childhood obesity.
The committee’s efforts have been nationally recognized. Some of its accomplishments include:
- Creating and distributing the "5210 AZ Way To Go!" Obesity Prevention toolbox for clinicians and school nurses. The group also measured the toolbox’s usefulness and obtained feedback on possible improvements;
- Producing several position papers and policy statements describing the scope of the childhood obesity problem, best practices, Arizona efforts, gaps and proposed actions for childcare centers, schools and local governments; and,
- Presenting at various clinical and non-clinical conferences to parents, residents, and community organizations as well as to state agency representatives working to eliminate the childhood obesity epidemic.
Committee priorities include:
- Increasing awareness and use of the 5210 AZ Way To Go! obesity prevention toolbox;
- Implementing enhancements to the 5210 AZ Way To Go! obesity prevention toolbox;
- Broadening the Committee's influence via speaking engagements and media attention to the "5210" message;
- Developing expert guidelines for obesity prevention, assessment, treatment, referral and appropriate payment for services.
Committee Chair: Rene Bartos, MD, MPH, FAAP
Committee Vice Chair: Karen Eynon, RN, MSN, CPNP, MATS
AzAAP Staff: Rebecca Nevedale
Click here to email the Chapter with your interest in this committee.